4 months ago
Chef Manager, Cheltenham
We are looking for the perfect candidate to take on the coveted position of Chef Manager at one of our prestigious Independent Preparatory schools, Berkhampstead School in Cheltenham. Berkhampstead School is an independent day school for approximately 275 boys and girls aged 3 to 11 and is situated in leafy Pittville Circus, Cheltenham.
They have been educating children since 1945 and are proud to have a happy and genuinely caring environment where all can excel. We need a Chef Manager who can deliver the same caring and inclusive ethos within the catering department. As Chef Manager you will have full responsibility for the catering department and will lead the team in delivering freshly produced lunches for the pupils and school staff as well as the day nursery which operates Mon – Fri, 52 weeks a year. There will also be a requirement for delivering various hospitality requests for meetings, events at sports teas. Within this role, your key focus will be delivering the highest quality of food and service for our pupils and ensuring that the catering offer is exciting and innovative through the development of your team and continuous review and improvement.
Details of the position
- Monday to Friday (occasional weekend availability required for open days etc)
- 40 hours per week
- 52 weeks per year with four weeks paid holiday, plus bank holidays.
- £35,000 per annum
- The opportunity to work within the friendly and inviting setting of this prestigious school
- Great work life balance
- Meals provided whilst at work
- Life Assurance
- Annual pay reviews
- Personal training and development plan
- Opportunities for progression within a growing company
- Lead, develop, coach, train, and inspire your team
- Build and maintain a professional and friendly relationship with school staff and pupils to deliver a true partnership with Berkhampstead School
- Ensure consistency of food and service standards
- Deliver added value events such as theme days, tasting tables to make the food offer exciting and encourage meal uptake
- Manage the school’s catering budget while ensuring the best quality of service and food offer
- Liaise with the school and pupils to ensure we are delivering on and where possible, exceeding expectations
- Oversee the kitchen and menu development
- Deliver exceptional food and customer service
- Maintain company systems & procedures, and legislation
- Excellent craft skills with a genuine love of food
- Understanding of nutrition and healthy eating
- A flair for food presentation and an understanding of current food trends
- A real people person who will immerse themselves in the culture of both the school and Palmer & Howells and drive our values within the catering team
- Knowledge of health and safety management
- Financial understanding of cost controls and waste management
- Previous experience managing a team in a similar setting
At Palmer & Howells our passion for high standards, superb food, imaginative menus and accurate accounting is how we manage our business. With over twenty years’ experience managing catering in the independent education sector we are passionate about creating an environment that exceeds our customer and client expectations.
We expect all staff to share our commitment of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children/young people and an enhanced DBS disclosure will be sought by the company.